Tuesday, July 26, 2005

NARC ~ Cajun Style

Moving on through the US, we hit Cajun country. Today's menu: Mock Turtle Soup and Blackened Redfish with Salsa Fresca and a Pave of Grilled Plantain and Red Pepper.
I am not sure I understood the point of Mock Turtle Soup ~ why wasn't it just callled oxtail soup?? We also had to make the little crackers that topped it and a chicken liver pate to top the crackers! The soup was actually pretty darn good, if a little rich, but i wasn't to keen on the chicken livers...

The second course was entertaining, to say the least. The salsa was amazing a pineapple and red pepper salsa with cilantro. The plantain was too green and really too starchy for the use we made of it, but the fish! The rub, well, I don't know what it actually tasted like because I took that "blackened" descriptor seriously. I got my pans smoking hot and started to fire the fish into them. Flames start shooting up. I kid you not. I had to go on, so I just continued to add the fish to the pan, then moved on to the next one. More flames. Copious amounts of smoke, I was sure the fish was ruined. But i carried on, finished cooking it and plated it. Apparently, it was good!! And it was fine to play with fire.

On teh burn front, my face is starting to look really ugly and peel and itch. I'll see if I can dig up a picture...
Here we go...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ouch! That looks even more painful!

I love reading your tales of cooking school--it sounds like fun (but a lot of work, too.) I think the days where chicken liver is on the menu would be my worse days.

THe fish sounds wonderful!