Sunday, September 18, 2005

Coooookies

I amde cookies today ~ MY cookies... Well, actually, they are from an Anna Olson recipe, but I still call them mine. They aren't pretty, but they are my ideal CC cookie.
Here they are:

And a close up.

I shared this recipe with Niki from Esurientes, and one of her taste testers described them as "American".

Here is the recipe, with both my notes and hers... My cookies look a lot different then hers ?

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Servings 24

3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter -- softened
1 cup (227g) brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups (250g{not sure about that translation, it's from Niki) all purpose flour
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 ounces (285g) bittersweet chocolate -- cut into chunks

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 F (175C).
2.Cream together butter and sugars until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and blend in.
3.Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
Stir in chocolate chunks.
4.Drop by tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
5.Let cool slightly and enjoy.
Source: "Sugar"

Linda writes: I found this recipe on Food Network Canada, upped the chocolate slightly and recieved the praise of friends, family and coworkers. The keys are the cornstarch and the bittersweet chocolate. You can use chips instead of chunks.

Niki writes: I added extra vanilla to this recipe as well as a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, becuase I love the aroma. I also added about 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, which all contributed to an excellent flavour.

9 comments:

Joe said...

Everyone's got cookies going! The pictures look great - ahh... I love me some good cookies! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Nic said...

These do look tasty. Something about Niki's ingredients must be a bit different than our North American versions...

Ziz said...

I disagree, I think those are some good lookin' cookies you have! :)

First time at your site, I am enjoying your posts!

Stop by my place anytime!

:)

Niki said...

Hi - I got the flour conversion from the conversion table on Donna Hay (donnahay.com.au). I was a bit suprised at the amount too:
1 cup plain (all-purpose) or self-raising flour = 125g (4 oz)

Who knows why they were so different??

Randi said...

I watch Sugar a lot, she has some great recipes. Have you tried the fig olsens? These choc. chip cookies look great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I like the fact that this one uses cornstarch - a different texture for sure. They turned out well - and next time I will try the bittersweet chocolate. I also had a problem with the bottoms burning, which might have something to do with the pan? Any ideas? THANKS!

ashleynicole said...

I made these today and I had always thought my recipe was the best but these are so much better. they melt in your mouth, not even kidding!

Amanda said...

Hi,
Just wondering if you really used a tablespoon of cornstarch, or if that's a typo? If you did, maybe that's why yours look different?

The original recipe calls for just a teaspoon.

Amanda said...

sorry, just realized the original recipe calls for 2 teaspoons, not 1. so the tablespoon variation may indeed be on purpose!