Monday, April 10, 2006

Calypso Roti



This post has been a long time coming ~ i made it last weekend when we had friends over for dinner. One of my friends is vegetarian and I actually really enjoy any opportunity to make vegetarian food. This recipe is my second one from my Rebar cookbook. I mad ea few changes, mostly because I wanted to assemble ahead of time and I forgot a few things when I was grocery shopping.

Calypso Roti

4 roti, chapati or whole wheat tortillas (I used roti, but I used about 1 dozen)
2 sweet red peppers
1 tbsp veg oil (I never measure oil, just use what I think I need)
2 cups shredded cabbage (I bought preshredded and tossed with apple cider vinegar and olive oil for a little moisture and flavour)
4 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
BLACK BEAN HUMMUS
1 can black beans
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
2 cloves garlic
juice of 1/2 a lime
2 tsp chipotle puree (I just used a touch of my chipotle adobo sauce from a can of chipotles)
1/4 tsp salt (never measure salt)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (I am a cumin junkie, so I used 2 tsp)
1/2 tsp ground corainder (left it out ~ lazy)
2 tbsp chopped cilantro (just used a whole bunch)
2 tbsp flax seed oil (optional)
1 bunch cilantro
MANGO MOJO
1 ripe mango ( I used two)
2 cloves garlic ( left it out)
1/2 habanero (forgot to buy a habanero, so used a chipotle)
1 tsp salt (again, didn't measure)
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped (again, used one bunch.

Prepare black bean hummus and mango mojo. Take the ingredients for each, puree in food processor, its just that easy.

Wrap roti in foil, place in a 300f oven. Meanwhile, halve, seed and julienne the red peppers. Saute to desired doneness (original says 5 minutes, but use your instinct ~ mine went less)
Remove roti from oven, spoon hummus on, top with grilled peppers, cabbage, mango mojo (I left this out) and toasted pumpkin seeds. Roll, serve.

I actually made the roll ups the night before, without the mango mojo, cut them in half and plattered them with the mango sauce as dip. They were excellent and went down well with the non-vegetarians too. (At least, Rob seemed to like them).

No comments: