Monday, April 03, 2006

Early Birthday Treat



As I mentioned in a previous post, I busted Rob and my friend on my birthday gift. I still enjoyed it though. I went to an evening of food and learning at Barbara Jo's Books to Cooks with author Jennifer MacLaglan of Bones fame. I have been lusting after this book for a long time, and I knew the class was happening, so I statred begging Rob to let me go as my birthday present. That is when he and my friend got this sick look on their faces ~ it was already planned AS MY BIRTHDAY GIFT!

As I left for the event, Rob said "I hope you get some food there!" And Oh my god did we ever. As Jennifer talked about the book, she and her helpers prepared huge marrow bones. We salted the marrow and spread it on toast as she moved on to the halibut and the duck legs and the chinese style oxtail. I was so full, I needed a nap after that. The food was incredible and if I wasn't already converted to on the bone cooking, it would have been a near spiritual experience. Jennifer spoke with passion and as she signed my book later, we talked about the state of culinary schools here, leaving the butchery element out of the curriculum, working with pristine, boneless skinless cuts.
Thank you for the early birthday gift ~ you guys are awesome.
While I was there I also picked up Charcuterie ~ this is my new obsession.
And thank all of you for the birthday wishes.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!

Deetsa said...

I'll bet you're excited to try it out!

Dawna said...

Happy Birthday, Linda! If I hadn't had a Hawksley Workman concert to go to last night, I would have been there too...

Sandee said...

Great present! Happy birthday!

Cyndi said...

I'm looking forward to the description of your birthday eats!