This dish freezes well for future meals. Quinoa provides whole-grain goodness and a serving of protein.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 bunches of kale, stripped from stems and finely chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 3 large carrots, grated (1 ½ cups)
- 4 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed
2. Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and the reserved tomato juice plus enough water to equal 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour a small amount of liquid in bottom of baking dish.
4. Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with cheese as desired. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes.